Site of the first permanent Cuming County settlement by the Benjamin B. Moore family in 1857, the town of DeWitt was laid out by an Omaha townsite company in 1857. The post office was established February 3, 1858, and discontinued May 26, 1871. In a…

The building was erected on this site in the 1890s for August Hartman and used as a residence by various owners until 1964. Poet John G. Neihardt rented the building from 1911 through 1920 for a study. Here he wrote his lyrics, prose, and part of…

John Gneisenau Neihardt (1881-1973), teacher, philosopher, and Nebraska Poet Laureate, moved to Bancroft in 1900. Here he first became acquainted with Indians, married, and began his major work, A Cycle of the West, a five-part epic poem…

Bancroft was the home of John G. Neihardt between 1900 and 1920. Here he wrote all of his short stories and lyric poetry including A Bundle of Myrrh, The Splendid Wayfaring, and the Guest and began his epic poem A Cycle of the West which brought him…