These officers' quarters with adobe brick walls are the oldest original building at Fort Robinson. The post surgeon noted they had dirt floors and complained over delays in shipping heating stoves. A frame lean-to at the rear provided kitchen and servant quarters. In the early 1880s, partitions through the common hallways were built to prevent arguments between occupants of the double sets of quarters. Crazy Horse passed between two of these quarters September 5, 1877, enroute to the guardhouse.