Potter and the Union Pacific Railroad

Potter began as a small Union Pacific Railroad settlement and depot midway between Kimball and Sidney. The station house was built by Union Pacific in 1870 and, as the only building in the settlement, also served as the post office and school. Its proximity to Fort Sidney allowed for a company of soldiers to billet their animals one-half mile south of Potter. In 1885, with a population of 75, Potter was platted.

The presence of the railroad brought many farmers and ranchers to Potter during the 1880s. Drought in the early 1890s resulted in many of them leaving. A second wave of settlement occurred with the passage of the Kinkaid Act of 1907. The Village of Potter was incorporated in 1912.

This depot was constructed in 1885 and remained in use until 1971. It was moved to Buffalo Bend before being donated and returned to the Village of Potter in 1989. The citizens of Potter have made the preservation of the depot possible. It now serves as the Potter Depot Museum.



Depot Museum, 845 Front Street