McCormick Hall opened in 1884. It is named for Cyrus McCormick,
inventor of the mechanical reaper, who donated $5,000 to help finance
construction of the building. The first building on the Hastings College
campus, it was the intellectual, social, religious, and academic heart of
campus. McCormick first housed dormitories, classrooms, offices, and
a small chapel until most of these functions relocated to newer buildings.
In 1976 a devastating fire closed the building. Following its renovation,
McCormick Hall was reopened in 1982.