First known as the Nebraska Soldiers and Sailors Home, the Grand Island Veterans Home was opened in 1887. The first home was a four-story Victorian building situated on 640 acres. The building soon became inadequate to house the veterans. Between 1910 and 1965, a new campus was constructed consisting of eight primary buildings and a veterans’ cemetery. The original Victorian building was torn down in 1931. In January 2019 a new Veterans Home was opened in Kearney and this campus was vacated.