Scouting was introduced to Papillion in 1913 with the formation of Boy Scout Troop 1. In 1921, the village granted permission to the troop’s scoutmaster, Rev. B. Johansen, to build a log cabin as the troop headquarters. The limestone foundation was sourced from an old mill house and oak logs were cut and delivered from near the Platte River. Rev. Johansen and local woodsmen spent the summer and fall building the cabin. Before the first snowfall the cabin was finished with a green shingle roof and a stone fireplace. The community dedicated the cabin in June 1922.
In 1927, Papillion Troop 1 was renumbered to Troop 60 and sponsored by the Brotherhood of St. Paul. In 1934, sponsorship was assumed by the Papillion American Legion Post 32, which continues today. The Boy Scouts’ Cabin has been in continuous use since 1922, still serving a role in Troop 60’s operations. The cabin is a beloved local landmark celebrating the community’s pride in both scouting and the City of Papillion.