The establishment of the Webster community was centered around this intersection. Beginning in 1871 the village of Webster grew to include a post office, blacksmith shop, telephone company, store, school, and Webster Hall. Webster Hall hosted farmers' meetings, social events, school programs, and a high school from 1915 to 1918. There were also four area churches. Economic changes forced many of these businesses to close during the 1950s. Seven area schools merged with Webster, District #27, before it was closed in 1999.