The Shipley Cemetery, named for William Shipley, is located one-half mile north of this marker. In 1893 Shipley deeded part of his homestead for public use as a cemetery.
The oldest known burial, dated 1861, is Shipley's grandson, James. In addition to William Shipley, more than half of the twenty-five known burials bear the Shipley name. Others include Richard Woolsey who, with William Shipley, served in the Nebraska Cavalry during the Civil War.
The Shipley Cemetery Historical Association and Washington County have restored and maintain the cemetery.