On March 6, 1855, Lancaster County was created by act of the Territorial Legislature. Many early settlers came for land, while others were attracted by the commercial possibilities of the nearby Salt Basin. In 1859, a site east of the Salt Basin was selected as the future county seat. Originally known as Lancaster, the town was first settled in 1864 and renamed Lincoln in 1867 when it was designated the state capital.
Lincoln's city government occupied various locations until 1886, when a municipal headquarters building was erected at 10th and Q Streets. The old U.S. Post Office building, constructed in 1874-1879 at 10th and O Streets, served as City Hall from 1907-1969.
In 1888, the County Commissioners accepted a bid of $164,976 for the construction of Lancaster County's first courthouse. Completed in 1890 on a site directly north of this building, the courthouse was razed in 1969.
Through the combined efforts of the City Council and County Commissioners, voter approval was received in 1965 for the construction of a building to house both governments. Designed by two local architectural firms, the County-City Building was completed in 1969 at a cost of five million dollars.