The cemetery name is adopted from a nearby stream along which Native Americans once camped. George F. Lee donated the original land in 1866, with the first burial on September 10. Twenty-eight graves from family plots were reinterred here in 1868. The cemetery expanded in 1884, 1912, and 1990. The chapel, constructed in 1916-17, commemorates the cemetery's fiftieth anniversary. One notable grave is that of Barbara Kagey Mayhew Bradway, associated with the Underground Railroad in southeastern Nebraska before the Civil War.