The establishment of St. Patrick's Cemetery is typical of that for many of Nebraska's early cemeteries. It began with the death of Edward Ned Murphy, son of Edward E. and Ann Crowley Murphy. He was born January 20, 1847 near Toronto, Canada and died February 7, 1880 at the nearby Murphy family farm before the Parish Church and cemetery were established. A good friend, Fredrick Stohlmann, a Lutheran by faith, donated an acre to St. Patrick's Parish. James Murphy, brother of Edward bought an adjoining acre on which Edward Ned Murphy was buried as the first parishioner to be buried here.