Swedish immigrants, known as Mission Friends, moved from Princeton, Illinois, to Monroe Precinct, Hamilton County, in 1880-82. They organized the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Mission congregation at S. P. Swenson's home in February 1883 and affiliated with the Mission Covenant in 1885. A building was erected in 1890 and a parsonage in 1893. The first pastor was Rev. C. M. Youngquist, 1883-89. The final service was in the summer of 1935. The building was later razed and the materials used to build a Covenant church in Hastings, Nebraska.