Siloa Cemetery

Swedish immigrants, known as Mission Friends, moved from Princeton, Illinois, to Monroe Precinct, Hamilton County, in 1880-82. They organized the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Mission congregation at S. P. Swenson's home in February 1883 and…

Youst Cemetery, Hampton, Nebraska

About 1871 what is known as Youst Cemetery was established on the homestead of Samuel B. and Mary Elizabeth Hunt Youst. Youst, S.B. Chapman, and Richard M. Hunt were the first settlers on Beaver Creek, arriving from Lucas County, Iowa in 1870. After…

Hamilton County Courthouse

This building is Hamilton County's third courthouse. The first was built in Orville City, the original county seat, in 1870. After five elections, Aurora was chosen as county seat in 1876. To assure the victory, the town constructed the second…

Farmers' Valley Cemetery

The Farmers' Valley Cemetery, founded in 1876 on land donated by John Brown, is the final resting place of many pioneers of Hamilton County. On three sides winds the Big Blue River, along whose banks the first settlers in the county built their…

Deep Well Irrigation

During the 1930's, Nebraska suffered one of the most serious droughts in its recorded history. In all parts of Nebraska rainfall was far below normal. In 1936, corn yielded only 1/10 as much per acre as it had during the years 1923-1932. The dry…