Founded by Samuel Bacon, the school formally opened March 10, 1875, in a rented house at 13th and Cheyenne Streets. The first building was erected on this site and opened January 13, 1876. Originally a job training school for students up to age 65, the program later emphasized Braille and academics for students ages 5-21. The Bacon Hall dormitory was built in 1959; the school building was added in 1963. The original 1877 workshop is now a maintenance building.