The U.S. Army built this house in 1858 as the residence of Quartermaster Major James Martin. The house was sold in 1859 to the Russell, Majors, and Waddell Freighting Company. The company had a contract to haul supplies to military posts. It used the house as an office while Alexander Majors and his family lived temporarily on the second floor. With the company’s closure in 1865, the house was a private home until it became a museum in 1985.